PUB 409 MID TERM
Local Government Police Management
1) The scientific police movement of the 1930s was geared towards making the police force more professional. This entailed better organization, removing political influence from police and equipping police officers with modern technology. The influence on modern day policing is that there is a precedent for police reform and that a similarly revolutionary model can be developed and implemented in modern day policing.
2) The creating document of the public organization must contain the purpose of the organization. Secondly, the stated purpose must be fulfilled thoroughly and without fail. Lastly, non-discrimination with regards to the provision of services is an essential requirement to pass the test of serving the purpose of the public organization.
3) A police leader should be compassionate and understanding, have great communication skills, integrity, negotiation skills, physically fit, mentally strong and agile, give attention to detail, and evolve with time to adapt to changing the environment.
4) The previous assumptions were based on the principle of hedonistic calculation. This means that criminals were assumed to be deterred by police patrols but this experiment changed that assumption because it was noticed that police patrols do not change the crime rate.
5) Citizen patrols increase the ‘eyes and ears’ of police as they act as extra agents that patrol the streets and report unusual activity. This also increases response time as suspicious activity is reported quickly and this helps in crime prevention.
6) The three main goals of a criminal investigation are the identification of guilty party, locating the guilty party and providing evidence of guilt of the guilty party.
7) The smell of alcohol, glazed eyes, slurred speech and admission of consumption of alcohol by the driver are the four main factors in a police officer's decision to arrest drivers suspected of drinking.
8) Education strategies such as teaching children in school about the perils of drugs and the consequences of drug addiction are helpful in controlling drug use because students become aware of the disadvantages of drugs. This will deter them from using drugs.
9) Criminal organizations are commonly linked through three groups, mafia, gang and business corporation. Mafia is a family owned and operated criminal organization whereas a gang is a territorial criminal organization. Business corporations are based solely on profit and only revenue is important in them.
10) Terrorism strikes fear into the hearts and minds of individuals. This fear in public forces the government to take some unpopular steps to curb terrorism, which in turn, generate resentment towards governments, furthering the goals of terrorist groups.
11) When the police department is receiving a lot of complaints regarding the police officer's misconduct, the department should create an Internal Affairs Unit to check the authenticity of the claims as well as enhance transparency.
12) The primary role is to enforce equal opportunity guaranteed by the Constitution of The United States. EEOC ensures that no workplace discrimination takes place on the basis of religion, race, gender or any other form of discrimination.
13) The Civil Rights Act of 1964 criminalizes sexual harassment by including it as one of the forms of sexual discrimination. Sexual discrimination itself has been criminalized by the Equal Employment Opportunity Act.
Managing Fire and Rescue Services
1) The first recommendation is about making fire suppression and prevention equal in priorities. The second recommendation is to train women and the third recommendation is to remove legal hurdles that hinder cooperation between local fire jurisdictions. The fourth is to create a masterplan in fire prevention for all local jurisdictions. The fifth recommendation is to provide grants for training and equipment to local jurisdictions. The sixth recommendation is that the proposed US Fire Administration act as a coordinator and assist local jurisdictions in fire prevention.
2) A sprinkler system can reduce the impact of residential fire by reducing injury and cost of repair by minimizing damage. Commercial fires set as an act of arson can be reduced and their spread to other buildings can be stopped through sprinkler systems.
3) The major roles of managers are coaching employees and listening to their problems, maintaining an organized work environment, create efficient budgets, adapt to new situations quickly, taking initiative, collaborate with other departments and oversee the completion of projects on time.
4) Full amalgamation is the first type of public safety consolidation in which administrative and operational activities of police and fire departments are combined. Administrative merging allows the two departments to remain separate but have combined operational oversight. Selected Geographic Consolidation is the unity of public safety services within selected jurisdictions. The goal of functional consolidation is to incorporate the administrative and operational aspects. Lastly, partial integration is the incorporation of some operational functions.
5) Job information workshops, the involvement of professional organizations, and mentorship seminars at high school level are some of the ways in which new employees can be garnered. Moreover, public involvement through shows, positive morale, engagement in internal affairs of the organization and positive work environment are essential for retaining employees. A good relationship with coworkers, extraordinary perks and good remuneration are some other ways to retain employees in the fire department.
6) It is easy to prepare and can be managed easily as well. Valuable statistic collection is ensured by line budgets over time and this opens a window of opportunity to save money by identifying wasteful endeavors.
7) AFG Funding is a way to get money to procure vehicles. Federal grants and State grants are other ways to secure funding for apparatus and vehicles.
8) This creates trust and self-confidence in employees who feel significant within the organization. This enhances productivity.
9) Review, Recital, Redirection, Repetition, Rehearsal, and Recognition.
10) Clear purpose, easy to understand, imperfectly perfect, remembering the objective, honoring the mapping notations, including all relevant stakeholders, looking at the big picture, goal driven mapping, stating the truth, and creating a unique map are the ten critical time points in process mapping.
11) Boston, Massachusetts saw the establishment of the first fire department. Further laws and codes were established in the 20th century.
12) The origin of fires can reveal important information about the cause of the fire so it can be prevented in the future. Fire investigations result in the evolution of fire-fighting practices and codes and laws that ensure the protection of life and property.
If you have any queries please write to us
Join our mailing list