Assignment M2 4550
Reviewing a Qualitative and Quantitative Research Article
Do not select a meta-analysis or systematic review
Qualitative Research Assignment
Directions: Type your article references in APA format and answer the following questions in complete sentences about the article. You do not have to provide in text citations in the answers. (2 points for grammatical issues) APA Reference (9.5 points) Questions (0.5 points each)
Critiquing Criteria derived from LoBiondo-Wood & Haber, 2010, p. 135-136
Your selected article reference here in APA format:
Roberts, S., McInnes, E., Wallis M., Bucknall, T., Banks M., & Chaboyer, W. (2016). Nurses’ perceptions of a pressure ulcer prevention care bundle: a qualitative descriptive study. BMC Nurs.,15, 64. doi: 10.1186/s12912-016-0188-9
1. What is the phenomenon of interest and is it clearly stated for the reader?
The phenomenon of interest revolves around nurses’ perception about the pressure ulcer prevention care bundle (PUPCB) and how it impacts their clinical practice regarding pressure ulcer care.
2. What is the justification for using a qualitative method?
Qualitative method was used because researchers aimed at analyzing and exploring the profound information about how nurses perceived care bundle for managing patients with pressure ulcers (PU). Qualitative design works well for extracting in-depth information obtained from the subject matter experts.
3. What are the philosophical underpinnings of the research method?
Semi-structured interview was used having both close and open-ended questions. Semi structure interviews give thorough information about the problem issue providing the researcher with the silhouette for extracting maximum information in limited time.
4. What is the purpose of the study?
Purpose of the study is to gather detailed information about either nurses perceive pressure ulcer prevention care bundle as significant as other practices or not. How they perceive it and what factors affected their perception about it. This study may help is clinical reforms regarding PU care bundle.
5. What is the projected significance of the work to nursing?
This study is aimed at finding nurses’ perception regarding PU care bundle and carry clinical significance because information was obtained from the nurses working with PU patients and their communicated thoughts and feelings may help bringing about constructive reforms in PU prevention and management.
6. Is the method used to collect data compatible with the purpose of the research?
Yes the semi structured interview was used for analyzing the nurses’ perception about PU care bundle. It cannot be analyzed using questionnaires because they give only superficial information deprived of body language and other non-verbal cues important for identifying the validity of their provided information.
7. Does the researcher describe data collection strategies (i.e. interview, observation, field notes)?
Yes, he described semi-structured interview as the data collection strategy.
8. Is protection of human participants addressed?
Yes, participants were selected on their own will, were debriefed about study purpose and were assured that information attained will be kept confidential.
9. Does the researcher address the credibility, auditability, and fittingness of the data?
Yes, he expressed that sample that he selected was limited and must not address the generalizibility issues, suggesting that further research must be conducted using more participants.
10. Can the reader follow the researcher’s thinking?
Yes, researcher first presented a conductive overview of the preexisting literature; then he presented what did participants were asked and what data were obtained. In the later sections, he explained the significance of PU care bundle in relation to current PU prevention and management practices.
11. Does the researcher document the research process?
Yes, he explained the research process under the headings of methods (study design and setting, participant and recruitment, data collection, tabular representation of semi-structured interview items, data analysis, results, conclusion and implications).
12. Are the findings applicable outside of the study situation?
Yes, findings are applicable in clinical setting because they estimated the perception of nurses about PU care bundle involving patient-nurse partnership and particular caring practices. Overall, nurses demonstrated this plan highly effective for patients other than that with psychological impairment.
13. Are the results meaningful to individuals not involved in the research?
Yes, PU patients were not involved in the research but nurses’ perception about PU care bundle will improve further scope of practice for the PU patients allowing their self determination and decision-making.
14. Do the conclusions, implications, and recommendations give the reader a context in which to use the findings?
This study has a number of implications including more thorough understanding of PUPCB (Pressure Ulcer Prevention Care bundle), its current scope of practice in clinical setting, strategies to improve nurse-patient communication, increasing PUPCB awareness for nurses and patients and so on. Conclusion and recommendations give clear idea of the context of study.
15. What are the recommendations for future study?
This study used 18 nurse participants, more participants e.g., PU patients and management staff should participate to give the PUPCB an evidence-based practice rank. Moreover, generalizibility issues arise from small sample size which must be addressed in future research.
16. Do the recommendations reflect the findings?
Yes, small sample size having staff nurses was a major limitation. Secondly, only nurses’ perception was considered, patients’ perspective about this care bundle must be addressed in further studies.
17. How has the researcher made explicit the significance of the study to nursing theory, research, or practice?
In the practice, this research demonstrated that PUBCB is having practice validity when it comes to the practicing agents—nurses. Hence, researcher made explicit significance in nursing practice through this research.
Quantitative Research Assignment
Your selected article reference here in APA format
Dilie, A. & Mengistu, D. (2015). Assessment of Nurses’ Knowledge, Attitude, and Perceived Barriers to Expressed Pressure Ulcer Prevention Practice in Addis Ababa Government Hospitals, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Advances in Nursing, 1-11, doi:10.1155/2015/796927
Critiquing Criteria derived from LoBiondo-Wood & Haber, 2010, p. 178
18. What is the purpose of the study?
Purpose of study is to determine the knowledge, attitude and perceived barriers of nurses’ care towards pressure ulcer prevention.
19. What quantitative research design is used?
This study used survey questionnaires which were pre-piloted before conducting research.
20. Is the type of design used appropriate?
In my view, using cross sectional survey method is appropriate because it will give us more objective data involving less interpretive efforts that is highly subjective in nature.
21. Who is the population?
Population of the study comprises 217 staff nurses working in acute care setting of government hospitals.
22. Why was this population chosen?
Staff nurses were selected because they come in direct and frequent contact with the patients having pressure ulcers.
23. Are the concepts of control consistent with the type of research design chosen?
Nurses (having PUP patients) from government hospitals were selected on the basis of their willingness to participate; there were no other criteria than this. Hence, working experiences and qualification might affect the results.
24. Does the design used seem to reflect consideration of feasibility issues (cost, time, etc)?
Survey questionnaire was used to collect data from 217 nurses at the same time. This design was highly economical with respect to time. As nurses population was used, it was quite easier to find the sample (staff nurse working in acute care health). However, development of data collection tools (assessing their validity, reliability and standardization) was quite laborious task with the considerable cost of questionnaire replication.
25. What is the theoretical framework used?
Clinical observation and preexisting literature were used to determine problem hypothesis and conveying the significance of nurses’ attitude, knowledge and barriers towards Pressure Ulcer Prevention (PUP).
26. What is the hypothesis?
Nurses have significantly favorable attitude toward pressure ulcer prevention
Nurses have significantly adequate knowledge about pressure ulcer prevention
Perceived barriers reduce the nursing practice in pressure ulcer prevention
27. Does the design used seem to flow from the theoretical framework, literature review, and hypothesis?
In literature review, research studies having universal acceptance were incorporated to develop and support problem issue. Based on the theoretical framework and literature review, hypothesis was developed accordingly.
28. What are the threats to internal validity or sources of bias?
In social and medical sciences, individual itself acts as data collection instrument—source of biasness. His thinking patterns, perceptions and different experiences may affect his views about some phenomenon. For example, nurses’ qualification and practical exposure may affect study results acting as outliers.
29. What are the controls for the threats to internal validity?
Study has used general controls but for controlling the effects of qualification, gender and years of working no inclusion and exclusion criteria were selected.
30. What are the threats to external validity (generalizability)?
This study is culture and state specific in nature; which may have generalizibility issues. For example, different cultural views and state policies regarding PUP.
31. What are the controls for the threats to external validity?
No controls were used for external generalizibility issues.
32. Is the design linked to the evidence hierarchy?
Yes, it is linked to the evidence hierarchy.
33. Are the findings applicable outside of the study situation?
Yes, this study provided an estimation of link between nature of knowledge and attitudes of nurses towards PUP as well as perceived barriers which may be used for policy making and training programs.
34. Do the conclusions, implications, and recommendations give the reader a context in which to use the findings?
Yes, there were separate brief headings at the end for communicating what study gave and where can it be applied.
35. What are the recommendations for future study?
Policy makers must develop policies conductive to pressure ulcer prevention
Nurses must undergo appropriate training for PUP
Nurses must enhance their knowledge about PUP
They must help other nurses to increase their knowledge and practice
Perceived barriers must be undertaken serious consideration and management strategies must be applied accordingly
36. Do the recommendations reflect the findings?
Yes they recommend the findings. For example, recommendations are concerned with the policy makers, nursing professionals and management.
37. How has the researcher made explicit the significance of the study to nursing theory, research, or practice?
This study made an excellent contribution in PUP practice at national level (Ethiopia) because PU management has not given serious consideration by management, policy makers and nurses in the past.
Useful LinksFree Essays About Blog
If you have any queries please write to us
Join our mailing list
@ All Rights Reserved 2023 firstname.lastname@example.org